The Geelong Tech School is a state of the art ‘technology hub’ that facilitates programs and working relationships that emphasise and enable the vital science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) skills needed for the 21st Century.
Innovative programs focus on projects underpinned by the design thinking with real world application and represent what is possible through a collaborative approach from schools, local industry and community. In a fully supported environment participants are inspired to design and create using the latest technologies including, virtual reality, electronics, robotics and a fully equipped fabrication lab housing 3D printers, a laser cutter and a wide range of equipment.
The Geelong Tech School, with a capacity for 150 students, is hosted by The Gordon on its city campus, officially opened in October 2018 and services Secondary schools in the Geelong local government area. Ongoing collaboration with the partner secondary schools, industry and the Geelong community ensures programs meet the needs of schools, connect with industry in this region, inspire young people and develop a range of skills that will be in demand in the future.Innovative learning programs will impact on subject selection and pathway decisions as students and teachers in Geelong secondary schools become better informed about future skills, workplaces and pathway opportunities.
To inspire and empower students in the Geelong region to be critical and creative in shaping their futures.
The objectives for the Geelong Tech School are to:
- Inspire and engage local schools, students and teachers
- Establish and sustain valuable partnerships with industry and business
- Provide and maintain a well-equipped state of the art learning environment
- Be high performing and sustainable
- We use our imagination and critical and creative thinking to explore possible solutions
- We try, test and modify ideas through applied learning
- We foster curiosity and discovery through a range of STEM experience.
- We equip individuals to plan realistically for the future and to take ownership of their learning
- We create a culture of sharing ideas and collectively supporting each other
- We value teamwork to achieve better outcomes
- We acknowledge and respect differences in each other and provide a safe, supportive environment in which all individuals are valued